Saturday, April 11, 2009

the teachers

I loved Big Bird to an intense degree as a kid. I had this very large talking Big Bird doll that played tapes you loaded into his back. And I loved that movie, Follow That Bird.
Turns out the guy who made all the music for the film is Van Dyke Parks, who also worked on my favorite album of all time, Ys by Joanna Newsom. What a lovely coincidence.
I digress.
I used to cry at the end of the episodes of Sesame Street because they meant so much to me. There was a strange loneliness hearing the closing music and seeing... 'this episode of Sesame Street was brought to you by....'
James Taylor singing Jelly Man Kelly with the kids and the tuba singer?
Down, down baby I can do karate? Down down baby I can call my mommy?
The pinball machine cartoons?
My Name is You?
Patty Labelle singing "How I Miss My X?"

I mean really.
It goes down as the most inspiring element of my whole childhood.

Who we are and how we work through things has so much to do with the people we look to when we feel a new feeling. Its really simple maybe.


I'm hoping its not some terrible omen, but I came across this amazing clip that aired after Mr. Hooper died on Sesame Street.
Instead of avoiding the subject, replacing the actor, and brushing it under the rug, the adults on Sesame Street tell Big Bird.

The same way I felt 20 years ago, I feel now seeing this.

I don't think I've come across something this beautiful in a very long time.
I hope you watch it friends.

No comments: