Sunday, November 2, 2008

Commemoratio omnium Fidelium Defunctorum

Today is All Souls Day.





Those of you who love every opportunity to get shit faced and party, this holiday is like the ever popular Dead of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos.
I mean, I guess you could go to a bar and start yelling "this yagerbomb is for my dead grandma, heres to her getting out of purgatory!!"

But I'm not in that place today so I would rather not.

I think that religion itself is a bit confining and confusing and only mildly effective for the most part.
It brings many people in the world some kind of peace, like a weird little safety net for when their brain gets too analytical and the universe gets too scary.

But to each his or her own, I say.

I never look back and miss attending Sunday mass.
Ever.
The older I got, the more I felt like a nazi. The whoosh sound when everyone stands together at their wooden pews. The weird resigned tone of the prayer chanting. Its not really passionate, its just passive.

But there is something I still have great respect for, and sometimes I wish I had more devotion to.
Praying for things is not catholic or buddhist or jewish or anything else.
Its just human.
I know when I'm praying I am talking to the only God I know, which is within.
My favorite mantra (which is have pinned above my bed, which FREAKS PEOPLE OUT on some occasions) states:
be still and know that I am god
Saying that outload to yourself is just an affirmation.
All my reality is mine, its that simple.
Time and space and feelings and whatever I absorb was of my creation.
This is my everything and I can make it whatever I wish.
Resignation is just not appealing after I have prayed. Because it makes me thankful and reminds me of all the things I still want so very much for myself and for the people I love.

All I'm saying is, we all miss somebody.
We all wonder where they are and how they are and then sometimes we tell a story about them outloud to sort of bring them back.
And that makes people smile!

If you care, here is a traditional prayer for the dead in Latin.
Why?
Maybe you'll want to honor someone who the fuck knows.

Requiem aeternam dona eis,
Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.
Requiescant in pace. Amen.


Eternal memory. Eternal memory. Grant to your servant(s), O Lord, blessed repose and eternal memory.





All of my love to the people I would not forget, K

No comments: